Adam and I got married on March 13, 2015 at The Orchard in Menifee, California and I could not ask for a better day! Every bride thinks her wedding is the best one ever and rightfully so! I learned a lot through the entire planning process of my wedding and thought that I would share the top 7 things I learned for all of you other brides who are planning your big day!
1. DO NOT compare your wedding to a Pinterest Wedding. Do not get me wrong, I am allll for using Pinterest as an inspiration but the moment you start worrying that your wedding will not live up to the things you see on PInterest, is the moment you loose sight of what your wedding is about. And the things you see on Pinterest is from hundreds and thousands of different weddings..not just one so do not think that you can have it all.
2. Choose a style/theme that is YOU! Your wedding should be a day that represents you and your fiance. Do not picks things just because it is “in” style currently because guess what..in a few years, it will no longer be in style and you will look back not knowing what you were thinking. When your guests arrive to your wedding, you want them to think “Wow! That is soo them!”. For example, I do not think I have ever seen Adam wear a pair of dress shoes so I was definitely not going to have him wear them at the wedding because that is not him..instead he wore Cowboy boots, not for a fashion statement, but because it is Adam! People then asked me if my girls and I were going to wear Cowgirl boots with which I responded no because that was definitely not me.
3. Do not be afraid to go out of the norm. This is something that I am lovvvving seeing happen at weddings and tell my brides all the time.. do not feel like you HAVE to do something just because it is a standard tradition at weddings. If you do not want a garter toss, do not do a garter toss. If you want to do events out of order, do them out of order! This is your one and only day to make it completely how you want it so take advantage of that!
4. Pick vendors who you genuinely like! Lets be honest, vendors play a HUGGGE role in your experience of your wedding day so be picky when you are choosing them! Sit down with your different vendors and make sure that all of you get along and have personalities that mesh well together. This is especially true when it comes to your photographer! Your photographer is someone that you will most likely spend more time with the day of the wedding then your new spouse so make sure you like them and that both of your personalities work well together!
5. Get a Day of Coordinator. You have a lot going on the day of your wedding and the last thing you need to worry about is making a million other decisions. Hire a Day of Coordinator and let them make those decisions for you. There is no reason you should be stressing on the day of your wedding…you are getting married…that is exciting! My venue offered a coordinator and oh.my.gosh. he was amazzzzzing! Not only was he the nicest guy ever but he made sure everyone was taken care of and that everyone knew where to be and when to be there.
6. Give yourself more time than you think you need. Nothing ruins the mood of wedding like being late. If you think your hair appointment is going to take 45 minutes, give enough time for an hour and a half. If you think it will take you 15 minutes to get to your venue, scheldule it taking 30 minutes (yayyy for California traffic). And also give yourself enough time for pictures! Obviously I know I am bias when it comes to pictures but schedule more time than you think you need for just pictures of you and your new husband. Who cares if it takes an extra 15 minutes out of your reception? No one will remember that but you will remember the amazzzzing pictures that you were able to get from it! I think we gave our photographer 30 minutes for just pictures of Adam and I, and I’m sooo thankful because now we have soo many pictures that are displayed around our house!
7. What is done is done. This one is the one that I think is the most important and is what you need to tell yourself over and over again on your wedding day. It is finally the day of your wedding, something that you have been planning for the last year, or maybe even since you were a little girl. Do not worry if every little detail does not go to plan because guess what? It probably wont but that is ok! At the end of the day, you are marrying the love of your life and that is all that matters. I used to “joke” that if it rained on my wedding day, you would not be able to tell if it was raining or if it was my tears but by having a completely outdoor wedding, I had to prepare myself for that. But after lots and lots of prayers, we were blessed with a beautifully sunny, 87 degree day and it was perfect! Sure the flowers were not exactly what I wanted, and my sister had to chase down a UPS truck to get her bridesmaid dress 10 minutes before we were suppose to start taking pictures (that is a good story if you ever want to hear it), but at the end of the day, Adam became my husband and there is not a single thing I would change!!
BIG thanks to Mathieu Photography based out of Orange County, California for these beautiful pictures that we will cherish forever!