Braxton’s Birth Story

Written on
Categorized In

Jun 26, 2017


I have always loved reading other people’s birth stories so in case other people like reading them too, I thought I would share mine while it is still somewhat fresh in my mind!

I originally was due on April 29 but every time I would go to the doctor, they kept telling me I was measuring a lot further ahead and at my anatomy scan at 18 weeks, they officially moved my due date to April 20. In the last few weeks of my pregnancy, I would go into the doctor and my blood pressure was rising every week and I was still measuring ahead and the doctors started worrying that little Braxton might not be so little and so they set up an ultrasound for me at 39 weeks. I went in for my ultrasound on Monday, April 17 and after they measured Braxton in my belly, they were not concerned about his size but did think that I had a lot of amniotic fluid and sent me down to the doctor to get my blood pressure checked. I went down to the doctors office and had the doctor come in to check me and after looking at my blood pressure and everything else, she let me know that she was going to set up for me to get induced the next night since my blood pressure kept rising and I was so close to my due date anyways. As much as I wanted to go into labor naturally, it was somewhat of a relief knowing that we were going to meet our baby sooo soon! So we set my induction time for the next day, Tuesday, April 18 at 8pm. 

On Tuesday evening, Adam and I went to dinner with our parents and I was able to take a nice shower and do my hair and makeup and got ready to go to the hospital! We headed over to the hospital at about 7:30 and it was such a surreal feeling! We were both soo excited and the reality had not set in that we were sooo close to meeting our baby boy! We got all checked in and I was in the hospital bed by 9:30pm and the doctor came in and inserted a fully bulb in me. For those of you who don’t know, it is basically a balloon they insert in you to help you dilate (I was already about 1.5cm). Once inserted (which hurt sooo bad), they told me to try to get some sleep and they would be back in at 4:30am and we would get everything started! They came in to wake me up the next morning and I was able to grab a quick shower and got some breakfast and then they hooked me up and started pumping the pitocin into me at around 7am and by 8am I was feeling contractions. At 10:30am my doctor came in and broke my water and the contractions started coming hard and fast. I was having contractions that were only 20-30 seconds apart and let me tell you…they hurt and it was rough! I waited till 1pm and asked for my epidural and they let me know they would get everything ready for it! They brought a bag of fluids in that they had to give to my through an IV before I could get the epidural and said I could not get it until the bag was half way gone and it seemed like it took forever!! Around 2pm the   anistigeologist came in to give me the epidural. He had me lay on my side and curl into a little ball and it ended up being an interesting ordeal because my contractions were sooo close together and he only had about 20 seconds in between contractions to stick a GIANT needle down my back. After the epidural, I felt good for about 15 minutes and then I started feeling a lot of uncomfortable pressure. I told the nurse and she asked if I felt like I needed to push and I told her I did not know, I don’t know what that is suppose to feel like. She checked me and I was only 7cm and they said they wanted Braxton to drop so they laid me on my side and put a GIANT peanut ball in between my legs and almost instantly the pressure got sooo much worse! I kept complaining about the pressure and they told me that it is just something that some people feel sometimes. I was hurting sooo bad and although I did not feel the same contraction pain as earlier, I was almost in worse pain and still only had 20 to 30 second breaks in between the pain. Around 5pm I looked at the nurse and said, “!”..they checked me and I was at 10cm! They got the doctor and I started pushing at 5:05 and pushed with every being in me and Jamie Braxton Beasley entered the world at 5:18pm and I felt EVERYTHING! 

Braxton ended up weighing 8 lbs 2 oz and was 21.5 inches long and absolutely perfect! They put him on my chest right after and he instantly just started looking around and would not cry so the nurses tried to make him cry and he finally let out a little squeal! Braxton was sooo alert after and did not sleep for the first 6 hours of his life and just looked around! And that pressure I was talking about? Turns out Braxton was sitting his head on my pelvis that entire time and ended up being born with a GIANT bruise on his head which made me so sad for him!

I know every pregnancy and labor is different and I have no complaints about mine! I loved being pregnant and although labor hurt and was a little rough, it was definitely worth it and Adam and I fall more in love with Braxton every day!

Last belly bump picture and heading to the hospital:

The giant peanut that was put between my legs!


And Braxton made his entry after 13 minutes of pushing!!


His poor bruised head from sitting on my pelvis


"amber made us feel relaxed the entire session and we were just able to enjoy being together and had fun at our session. I am obsessed with what she captured."

from past client

over anything

prosecco & conversation

wind in my hair

tan lines & sandy toes


afternoon iced lattes

Get Started